The Dental Dialogues and The Holidays
As we approach the holiday season we wanted to take the opportunity to check in with you, our valued patients, your families and with all of our friends of Eglinton Square Dental. If there is one thing we have learned during these difficult times, it’s that connections are for many of us, the most valuable gift of all. Our connection with family, our connection with friends and even our connections with neighbours, faith communities or the people for whom we volunteer our time, are each critically important to helping us thrive as individuals. It seems, during a pandemic, it’s our connection with people that will get us through!
Whether you’ve recently celebrated Diwali, are looking forward to Hanukkah or you celebrate Christmas, these are traditionally seasons where families gather and where a general feeling of hope embraces us all. Each holiday, to varying degrees, is a celebration of light, whether it’s about the miracle of a flame lit for one night that instead lasted eight; the victory of light over darkness and good over evil or simply an opportunity to revel in the beauty of twinkling lights on a Christmas tree, light represents hope. Light is a beacon in the darkness and perhaps, this year more than any other, we’re all feeling a bit dark and could use a little more light in our lives.
It is with this feeling of hope and shining a light in the darkness that the team here at Eglinton Square Dental reaches out to each of you, extending our warmest wishes for you and your loved ones during this holiday season. We encourage everyone, even if the holidays look a little different this year, to gather in a safe way and perhaps – where necessary – to begin new holiday traditions that still enable you to spend time with loved ones even while far apart. Here are just a few suggestions on how to approach the season a little differently this year.
• Gift a parent or grandparent the gift of time. Offer to do their holiday shopping for them, help them to shop online if they aren’t already familiar with how to do so, or spend some time teaching them how to Zoom or Facebook call so that you can stay connected throughout the holidays.
• Cook and deliver a meal (or several) to someone you love or a neighbor you know could use some help. We’ve all realized that material things aren’t quite as important but the gift of caring never goes out of style.
• You might not be able to visit indoors but show up unannounced at the home of a family member or friend with a coffee, a treat or a small token of your affection and have a short, socially distanced visit from the safety of the front door. Small gestures like this are memorable and important, particularly if visiting a vulnerable or immune-compromised individual who can’t venture out often.
• Looking for gift ideas if you live far away and can’t be together over the holidays? Consider a meal delivery service, a holiday floral arrangement, gift cards that can be used for grocery deliveries or to buy a book from a local bookstore. Puzzles that pass the time, or even paying for a loved ones Netflix (or similar) subscription is a great idea for whiling away the winter hours.
• If you’re looking for stocking stuffer ideas we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention a new toothbrush and some floss! (Hey we’re Dentists – we had to sneak in something related to teeth!)
We’ll end with our sincerest gratitude to each of you and wish you the happiest of holiday seasons. We wish you and you family and friends good health not only during these difficult times but always. We encourage you to follow your local public health guidelines for safely celebrating the season and most of all we thank you for your continued support of Eglinton Square Dental. We look forward to continuing to care safely for all of your ongoing oral health care needs in the years to come.
Eglinton Square Dental, the perfect combination of innovation and experience.